Go to Script | Idioms Quiz | Gap-fill Exercise
1. Warm Up
Hunting for the ideal job takes a lot of patience and hard work, and most people search for a new job for better pay and career advancement. What do you think are two or three of the most important keys to finding a great job? Listen to this conversation between two friends on this topic
Pronunciation Tip: YOU changes to YA.
Listen to the conversation and answer the questions. Alex and Sarah run into each other at college after not having seen each other for six months since they finished a study abroad program.
3. Retelling the Story
Instructions: Retell the story above using the vocabulary you have learned. Tell how the man was able to eventually find a job.
4. Expanding Your Learning
Instructions: Select one or more of the activities below to expand your understanding and use of the slang studied in this unit.
- Discussion: Talk with a partner about the the best ways to find a good job in your field (e.g, get an advanced degree, subscribe to magazines and journals on your major, etc.).
- Improvisation: Give your partner(s) a new vocabulary word from this unit and ask the partner to think up a sentence or more with the slang used in context. Sharing something from personal experience will make the activity more real and interesting to the listeners.
- Writing: Compose an email to your teacher or a friend describing three ways people can improve their chances of getting a job right out of college without much experience. Use transition words to state your points and give examples for each.
- Real Speak: Interview native speakers at your school or in the local community about how they landed their current job. Why did they change jobs? Was there a time in their life that they had difficulty making ends meet? Did they have connections that helped them get a foot in the door at a company?
- Internet Search: Conduct an Internet search to find three job offerings in your particular field. What are the minimum qualifications for each? What benefits, in addition to the salary, does the company provide?